The world is now full of “smart” technologies, whose purpose is to facilitate and enrich our lives. Agriculture, in turn, is an essential part of human existence, we cannot do without.
Let`s combine these two together! BOOM! And we have the best of both worlds!
Smart farming, also smart agriculture, is an arising concept, including the implementation of modern Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) into management of farms. Using Internet of Things (IoT), robotics, drones, Artificial Intelligence (AI), farmers can increase the quantity and quality of their products and optimize the human labor required for production at the same time.
Here are some examples of recent agriculture technologies, available nowadays, and their implementation opportunities:
· Sensors can be used for soil, water, light, humidity and temperature management.
· Specialized Software can offer solutions that target specific farm types or use case agnostic IoT platforms.
· Connectivity can be accomplished cellular or through LoRaWAN.
· Location can be tracked through GPS, Satellite, etc.
· Robotics can be implemented in tractors, processing facilities, etc.
· Data Analytics provide opportunities for standalone analytics solutions, data pipelines for downstream solutions, etc.
Technological tools like these can help farmers monitor field conditions without going to the field and make strategic decisions for the whole farm or for a single plant/animal.
The driving force of smart farming is IoT —connecting smart machines and sensors integrated on farms to make farming processes data-driven and data-enabled.